Being consistently underweight can cause long term health problems, and influence all your bodily functions, including physically, psychologically and socially.
- Lack of concentration
- Difficulty in decision making
- Pre-occupation with food
- Disinterest in hobbies and activities
- Less spontaneous
- Easily irritated or upset
- Feel anxious and depressed
- Isolated from friends and family
- Unwilling to maintain friendships
- Obsessional, ritualised behaviour and routines
- Setting rigid rules around what you must not eat or must not do
- A need to be clean and tidy or hoarding behavior
- Avoid eating in restaurants or in public and avoid social occasions
- Drop out of school, college or work and stop doing things you enjoy
Heart and Circulation:
- Loss of heart muscle
- Lower blood pressure and pulse
- Heart beat irregularities
Sex Hormones and Fertility:
- All non-essential processes are stopped to preserve energy
- Menstrual periods may stop which could result in infertility
Bones, Muscles and Joints
- Reduction in bone strength
- Increased risk of osteoporosis and fractures
- The Muscles weaken and joints become swollen
Skin and Hair
- A downy hair covering can start to grow on the face, forearms, back and abdomen.
- Hair loss from scalp.
- Dry skin
- Reduction in body temperature, feeling cold
It requires real effort and application to regain a healthy mind-set and body weight. However, if you regain weight to a low, but healthy level, many of these symptoms will go away.